FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reward Travel combined with rev ticket ROC-HKG in May-June 2011, suggestions?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:43 pm
PaulInTheSky

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I wish yu well with that strategy. The *A upgrades are segment based, not trip based so a connecting flight requires double the miles. I've not had too much luck with *A upgrades, but then again I was looking to redeem UA miles against CO metal. CO has plenty of availability without a waitlist on the flights I'm interested in (HKG-IAH in this case) but for some reason no seats are being made available via *A.
Thanks a lot for the info, xyzzy. I think one of the best options is to route UA and pick my paid B on UA as well. I wish I could just avoid all the 747 and keep our itinerary on 772ER, 763(NRT-HKG) and the little CRJ . I know I can search the difference, but is there any of you who could give me a route idea of how different the hard/soft product on:

1. EWR-HKG 772ER
2. ANA IAD-NRT 772ER
3. UA IAD-NRT 772ER?

I am curious about the difference between the last two. However, would UA stick with the CO upgrade scheme to have 30k EQM + B or stick with *A upgrade? That's huge difference here, as noted by xyzzy.