FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hotels that requires credit cards for incidentals and won't take anything else
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 pm
ryanmm

hotels that require credit cards for incidentals and won't take anything else

Recently booked a room at the Coast Gateway in SEA through Priceline, good price, paid with my debit card; I was satisifed. Noticed the fine print in the email verification that said a major credit card would be required at check in.

Contacted the hotel, and they verified that cash wouldn't be accepted, nor would a debit card. Their exact reply:

"At this time the Coast Gateway Hotel in Seattle does require a credit card and valid photo identification at check in, they do not accept any substitutions. The temporary hold to the credit card will be $20.00USD for any incidentals."

I dumped credit cards more than a decade ago, around when debit cards came on the scene. I've always been able to use either cash or a secondary debit card for reservations.

Do you think they really would've turned me away over a $20 hold? Maybe the rep I got is wrong? Just to be safe I've already applied and been approved for a credit card, so it's academic now, but it's still a frustrating experience.

Last edited by ryanmm; Dec 20, 2010 at 9:29 am