FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]
Old May 13, 2001, 12:17 am
pegasus8228

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
Originally posted by onedog:
[b]
Any tip and/or suggestions that I should know about? Things to do around the area? Places to avoid? Must see and/or do activities? What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? How much should a cab to and from the airport cost?

Thanks for any and all help.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 05-11-2001).]
i am current visting sheraton lisboa regularly. a decent hotel, but upgrade is by luck (for Plt). however, you got the full breakfast at the lounge for sure. and the lounge has the best view of lisboa, since it is the highest building in town. if you are lucky, your room as well.

however, the hotel itself is low 5*/ hi 4* level if you are not in the tower/club. as it was said, nothing exciting. but worth your 105$. (your rate is even loweer than my corporate rate, where did you get it?

the location is great. it is at the other side of the park at marquis de pompal (i disagree with stimpy about the location) there are a lot of shops around at suldanha areas, and it is closer to the Metro than Meridien (i stayed at regent/4season as well before, which is right next to le meridian).

taxi from meridian to sheraton is less than US$2! (taxi is cheap at lisbon, but not all drivers are honest -- there is 300ESC for trunk fee and about 20% higher during the night.
if you go from airport to downtown, taxi should not exceed 1500ESC, i was charge 3000 the first time )
--- this also answers your question of best way to airport, taxi, but watch the meter carefully and ask fo receipt and driver's license # if in doubt.

the other 2 sheratons are in the suburb (i believe one is close to the sintra area, and the other to the south of tagus river) where there are nice beaches and upscale resorts, but if you want to see lisboa, you should proabably stay at the city.

let me know when you will be there, we could have breakfast if schedule fits;_)

about lisboa, a great city. good seafood.

metro pass cost 280 ESC/day (US$1.3)
lisboa pass with all MEtro/Bus/many museum cost <10USD per day for up to 3 days.
get a map form the hotel, the conceige will show you the tourist spots. 2-3 days is about enough time to see the city

another must see, the view of lisboa before you land and after take off. the plan always tour you around the city before landing ;-)
you will first see the airport at the north, then go across the city to the south of the river tagus, then U-turn back to pass the downtown, and sheraon lisboa, to land in the airport 10 miles north of downtown.

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 05-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 05-13-2001).]