FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't a
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:03 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Sandra_D
if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't airlines do the same?

I was sending out christmas presents and it was a zoo at the local post office.(duh!)

Among my packages were two identical sets of DVDs(complete Start Trek series plus others). Each package weighed in at just over 9 pounds. I shipped them in priority mail flat rate boxes. One is going just 8 miles away to my nephew, while the other one is going a little more than 8000 miles to my cousin in Guam. What surprised me was the both packages cost exactly the same to ship. I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
Do you investigate the price of sending the DVDs at the "Media Mail" rate, at least to the nearby recipient? You would have to supply your own packaging, but would probably save a few dollars on the postage.