FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award ticket in name of another person?
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:18 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jeromyers
I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.

It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
As stated, no need to transfer miles. Just book and when it asks for the name, enter his/her name. You will also need their birthdate in order to book.

Note that once you have the ticket issued and the miles deducted from your account, you can't then try to transfer the award to someone else.

Note too that you need the exact legal name as on their government-issued ID. Please don't assume what their name is. You may know him as James Smith but his legal name could be Steven James Smith and he just goes by James. Happens ALL the time.