FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving NJ to Buffalo - 29th December- Best Route?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:07 pm
Baritone73

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mclee19
I make this drive often - the 80/380/81/90 route is the best.

The only addendum I would make to the base route is to take I-690 in Syracuse to I-90, cuts about 5 miles off.

Now, there are some slightly alternate routes that will save you miles and tolls, but not necessarily time.

[...]

Regarding lake effect snow that time of year - the most worrisome area for you will be Syracuse. They have a band that sets up and just pounds them off of Lake Ontario. Otherwise, believe it or not, the NY Thruway route for where you will be going is not too bad. Lake effect snows are wind direction dependent and very localized. I mentioned Syracuse already, when Rochester is getting pounded, it rarely extends down to the Thruway and has almost no effect on Buffalo. The only thing you need to watch is a strong SW wind which will bring the Lake Erie bands north and could really be a mess for about 20 miles near Batavia. But, the NYS thruway is extremely well maintained (at least as far as snow removal), so as long as you aren't in an "event", hit a rest stop for twenty if you get in the snow and wait for the plows to go through.
My experience, having made dozens of trips between Buffalo and NJ in all seasons and all kinds of weather, is that unless you're really interested in the scenery (which, I must admit, can be impressive around the Finger Lakes at the right time of year), you're better off sticking to the interstates. You might save a few miles by cutting across the hypotenuse of the triangle, but I've been stuck behind too many slow-moving 18-wheelers to recommend the shortcuts. Add in the possibility of snow, and there's really no reason to leave the highways. Having said that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking the 690 around Syracuse.

As for lake effect snows, the previous poster is absolutely right about Syracuse and Rochester. If you're heading to Niagara Falls, you'll leave the 90 and get on the 290 (just past the Williamsville toll barrier), which should keep you well to the north of the traditional "Snow Belt" near Buffalo. You'll then take the 190 north across Grand Island and into Niagara Falls.

In general, the farther north you go, the less you need to worry about snowfall. Most of the heaviest snow falls to the south of Buffalo. In the most recent storm, which shut down a section of the Thruway earlier this week, my sister, who lives in Depew, got about 28 inches. My mother, who lives 10 miles to the north, got less than an inch. Lake effect snows are funny that way.