FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Menstruation Arouses TSA Suspicion
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:30 pm
maradydd

Originally Posted by gojirasan
I'm sort of wondering why she is wearing it at all. I have my suspicions, but I'm not really sure. And if I'm wondering then maybe a TSO who doesn't use them might wonder as well. Sort of a comment on the TSOs being overly suspicious and nosy about everythiing.
Many women who have heavy periods prefer to wear two forms of absorbent material to protect their clothing. Tampons, menstrual sponges and menstrual cups can fill up and leak, so a pad or panty-liner worn in the underwear is extra insurance against stains.

The flannel panty-liners mentioned in the original article are a reusable (and often DIY -- they're an easy sewing project) alternative to disposable panty-liners. Many people who wear washable pads also use reusable alternatives to tampons, such as menstrual sponges (natural sea sponges) or silicone/latex cups like the Keeper or Diva Cup.

So I can understand why a woman in that situation might be nervous -- imagine having to think about what you'll say if you're interrogated about something as private as what you do to manage your period!