FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:50 am
neko

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by exbayern
More proof that those medically unable to use AIT are still being treated as optouts. Sorry to hear your story.

And from a breast cancer forum another medical horror story

http://community.breastcancer.org/fo.../757010?page=2

From another poster there
I've written the American Breast Cancer Foundation contact, Susan G Kormen contact, and American Cancer Society contact.

I've gotten a response from ABCF saying that they've forwarded my concerns about TSA to the appropriate group. No response form Kormen or ACS. I will probably follow up saying that 'I donate and this matters to me.'.

My own letter is here, feel free to copy/modify it.

Originally Posted by Freefallin'
My husband, meanwhile, had vanished somewhere behind me. Turns out that when he opted out of tie AIT, they made him wait. And wait. And wait.... even though there were TSA agents milling around and scarcely any passengers at the checkpoint, the call for a "male opt out" went unanswered. After several minutes of twiddling his thumbs, worried about what had happened to me and also about some valuable items in his now-inaccessible hand luggage, he got sick of the delay and opted back in.
So they got one of us, in the end.
Glad it wasn't so horrible for you and I'm sorry your husband felt pressured into exposing himself to the radiation.

Your husband had the right to have his things brought to him from the belt. If he has time, he could file a complaint at EPIC/ACLU that he tried to opt out, but TSA wouldn't bring a screener or his things.

In principle, you should also leave a complaint at TSA, but you are unlikely to receive anything but a form letter (if that). ACLU Passenger Report and EPIC Incedent Report .

A possible lesson learned for others is that if you travel with someone, stay together, put your stuff on the same belt and make sure you know which buckets on the belt have both of your things. Then the first one through can stay with all the stuff and the second one doesn't have to worry.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts