FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:49 pm
Little Flower

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
2nd example today of TSA refusing or discouraging opt outs

Following up to my earlier post RE: my mother-in-law, I posted a status report on Facebook. A friend told me about the experience her husband had tonight at the Tulsa, OK airport:

[FRIEND]: [Husband] is flying from Tulsa to [home] tonight with a lay over in [another airport]. He said it seems they are targeting children and elderly. He asked not to be scanned and they told him he had no choice other than to do it or not fly.
3 hours ago · Like
[Little Flower]: That's illegal. The regs / SOPs apparently state that any passenger has the option to get irradiated or get groped. Tell him to get to the aeropuerto early, and ask for a supervisor if his request to opt out is refused.
12 minutes ago · Like
[FRIEND]: Yeah he pointed that out to the TSA and said they seemed less amused. He said the airport wasn't even busy. He also asked if they could provide him with any facts on the safety of the machine and they told him it was all classified and he didn't need to know. He's got a higher security clearance than most of those clowns but he "has no right to such information"
7 minutes ago · Like

I then filled her in about the EPIC & ACLU forms, and Flyertalk. Her hubby is a road warrior, so he'll probably be following up.