FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How have the new "procedures" affected regular business travelers?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:02 pm
HighPotter

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
One RT each week until Christmas. I average 3.5 RT per month. That makes me a regular. I have started adding at least 30 minutes to my clear time. Just needed it once and that was due to a total failure at throughput when not enough lines were open.

1. I try to seek out and position myself in a line that avoids a scanner. I call it a SDPOO, self directed positional opt out. Sometimes possible, sometimes not.

2. If I have to, I get in line behind the prettiest young women I can find. While they get scanned I get the WTMD. Got in line with the Denver University Women's Soccer team. I became invisible. They did not even swab my bag.

3. If I am selected for the scanner, I opt out. I take the pat down, and leave. I can put myself into another world for a few minutes and I just wait for them to say it is done. If they want to look down my pants, well it bothers me, it is stupid, but it is them that looks like the idiot doing it. I just grin.

4. Not real sure what will happen if they ask me to go to the private room.

While it is becoming less likely to avoid opting out, I have been able to avoid it except for three times. That is about a 10% hit rate over the flights I have taken since mid year.

By the way, I do not consider it a sexual assault. An assault, yes. Just not sexual. I only worry that an overly aggressive screener will cause an injury. If that happens, I have decided I will go to the first red phone once clear, call the AP medic, and seek medical attention for the rough handling. That should generate enough paperwork to keep them busy for awhile. I will only do this if I really am injured or in pain. No harm, no foul as they say.

The airport is my workplace transportation. Without it, I might be forced to find a job from a pizza box or something. Also, I am a self-employed businessman. The TSA authoritarianism is one of many heavy hands of government to which I have to bow down. It is a cost of doing business today. Is it right? No. It just is.

I do not talk to the TSA screeners. They are pawns. There is absolutely nothing I can say to them that will make anything better. I do tell the pat down person that I am hearing impaired and if I do not respond to his instructions it is because I do not hear his instruction. I ask them to repeat the procedure two or three time until I am sure I understand, "I have trouble hearing can you repeat that?"

If they try to make small talk, I give grunts and put them on ignore. The TDC sees I am from Kentucky and asks me if I go to he Derby. I say "What's a derby?"

Short answer: I do nothing at the screening to let them know of my displeasure. Oh, one exception: when they do not take my Nexus. This really frosts me.
I suppose in many ways we are alike. I look for the lines that don't have the scanner, but this depend on my schedule and time line. After that, I go with the flow. I have opted out several time, but have also been scanned. I suppose this is my plan. try and keep the scanning to a minimum, but not have my junk fondled on a regular occasion.

These are the facts of my life right now.

HP