FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:52 pm
FriendlySkies
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tom911
I opted out at the AA checkpoint in T3 at SFO tonight . They got to my belongings pretty quickly and sat them on the ground right next to me during the pat down.

Pat down seemed to be by the book (back of hand, checked waistline and legs) and only took a few minutes. I did get the full explanation including asking if I had any medical devices or sore spots/injuries. I was not groped in any manner. I was the only one that opted out over about a 15 min period that I could observe. I'm sure at least 50 or more passengers came through in the time frame as there was always someone in line for the single lane.

What surprised me most was all the women going through the scanner. The passengers seem to be split evenly between men and women. Watching an NBC Nightly News piece tonight before I drive down, they did a report that indicated women were more concerned about their bodies being viewed then men, but I did not see a single one opt out.

I discussed the scanner with a few passengers while we were waiting for our belongings to move forward, and one told me a coworker was put on the no fly list for declining. I find this hard to believe. He went through the scanner. The other passenger next to me remained silent (and went through the scanner).

I walked over to the UA domestic checkpoint and they did not have the new scanners in place. I can't tell you which kind they have at AA, but the passengers were clearly putting their arms in the air and had to stand inside the device.

Oh...forgot to add I was asked why I opted out. My answer was religious, ethical, moral, constitutional and medical.
SFO has Millimeter Wave.. Glad you did not run into any issues when opting-out!