FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Classes, Infinite fun and/or Madness: The Autumn Run with United Airlines
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:56 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VII - An RCC, And a SFO-DEN Adventure.

As I had more than 10 minutes between connections, I decided to take advantage of the Domestic RCC

United Red Carpet Club,
Domestic Club

Waiting to get in...

After getting in, I found a nice window seat, and powered on the laptop still to find paid Wifi. Small matter. I just charged my laptop for a bit and did a few bits of picture sorting.

It was typical RCC food... mixed snacks and cruets with ranch dressing.

Again, I only partook of a coke to keep myself going and just sat back in comfort for a bit. Soon enough, it was time to head off back to the gate, and after stopping off at the Ghirardelli chocolate shop, I saw we were about to board. Therefore for the final time this trip, I stepped up to the red carpet and boarded the plane

UA318 San Francisco International - Denver International
United Airlines, Airbus A319, Seat 1A, Domestic First Class (NF)
967 Miles flown, 967 Miles Earned
Channel 9: On

The Pictures

First on the plane and I was pretty much on a good start with the crew as the purser was making coffee and touching trolley... Very Pam Ann. To which I got a laugh. Instantly I knew this had the makings of a good flight.

Waiting for boarding to complete

Again F was full, as was the rest of the plane as it took its time loading. Eventually Jeff’s smiling face beamed down from us on high, and we begun our taxi. With Channel 9 on, I was listening for our flight number, and the words “Flow control to Denver Area... 1 hour stop”

Gulp. Although I would had loved the overnight stop, I really didn’t fancy working through the madness of what would had happened.

Soon after the engines spooled down, and the flight attendants were picking up the phone, and finally the captain explained what was going on.

He also said he was going to open the cockpit door for those who want to ask questions. How could I refuse a look out of the window next to a main runway? Doesn't happen every day y’know.

So I went and paid my respects to the captain, and thanked him.

And ended up in the left hand seat. With a picture that has been hidden from the world in case I smash any more lenses.

After thanking the captain, I was asked if I wanted a drink. Knowing that I was on the ground I asked for a Orange Juice, and idly said maybe a bit stronger. The flight attendant knew what I was thinking and asked what sprit to mix with it.

So yes, yet another vodka and orange. I’m making one heck of a collection of them at the moment...

As the drinks service was completed on the ground we were given clearance to proceed - so what was a possible 1 hour stop turned into 20 minutes. Another 5 minutes to re-secure the cabin, and the A320 turned to the runway, and off we went into evening Pacific sun, climbing out, with the City of San Francisco to the left of me.

San Francisco, the Bay area. Look for the bridges!

Golden

Soon enough the purser came around again, asking if we would be joining in for a Turkey sandwich. In the intrests of research - and knowing the possible pain to come on the next flight, I accepted.

So here’s the tray - served with a salad and another pack of SunChips.

Salad
It looked ok, but there was something up the bread that made it hard to cut through. The salad was fresh, and the purser pre-punched a hole in the dressing to “prevent it exploding”.

Punched for your safety

Some simple steps, but again - appreciated.

The service was cleared down, and more drinks were offered, and during this period a cart was put across the forward galley entrance to allow a service to be carried out for the front office.

However, there was also a milk and Cookie service. Which was a very nice touch.

United made me booking... and I ated it.

Eventually, dusk fell and the plane begun the descent into Denver.

Denver International from above

Of course I was listening into Channel 9 and was listening as we descended. Then the magic words were uttered - “UA318, Go-Around, Go-Around, 9000ft”.

And boy those engines roared as we climbed back up. Once we claimed a bit, the captain came on the tannoy and told us what happened, and that we were to land on a different runway.

The second time, we made it on the ground safely and taxied to the B concourse at Denver, only 20 minutes late.

I thanked the purser, and asked her to thank the captain for me as I wasn’t sure what state the London flight would be in and the cockpit door was shut still.

Overall: A stellar performance in terms of customer service, safety and communication. When United wants to shine, it really does. But please... sort out those Turkey sandwiches...

But now the premium experience is over, and it’s time to go back to my normal roots, and to economy. Will I survive?