FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ford MyKey Deactivation
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:04 pm
taylorc418

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Ford MyKey Deactivation

I've searched the forum, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I just picked up a Ford Escape from RDU and went along my way, beginning a 2 hour drive on a 2-lane road. Speed limit is 65 and I come up on a truck doing 50 or so. I decide to pass, and step on the gas to make it around the guy. In doing so, I hear some weird noises coming from the car, and then look down to the speedometer, and notice in the info bar (where mileage is usually displayed) that it says "Maximum speed reached." I'm nearing 80 MPH at this point (not uncommon, especially if the speed limit is 70 - I'm usually doing 80+). Luckily I had plenty of room, else I might have been in trouble if I needed more acceleration.

I do some research and apparently it's a safety feature of Fords to be able to be programmed with a max speed of 80 MPH and volume on the stereo to 40% of max. I only have one key to the car, and it's not the master. Anyone have any clue on how to deactivate this? It's a little bit of a safety hazard as I didn't know until I hit the max speed that it was even turned on. No signage on the car, etc. to denote this.