FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How close is the FFM phenom to bribery?
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:02 pm
peace_meal

Programs: Delta DM, United GS, Avis CHM, Hertz GP
How close is the FFM phenom to bribery?

I'm playing devil's advocate here. I for one, am a very frequent flyer, flying on multiple airlines and accumulating many FFMs and I quite often use my FF standing in an airline / alliance as a factor in deciding on which itinerary to purchase.

Having said that, I'm very interested in everyone's views on this:

What, do you believe, is the difference between the following two scenarios:

1. An agent of a government's military has to choose between two equipment providers who are bidding for the same contract from the military. One offers the agent points that could eventually be cashed in for equipment he could use for personal consumption. The other provider does not do this but offers a product that is better and might save on military costs.

The agent nevertheless picks the first as he sees personal gain even though the military loses a better option. Would most people consider this a bribe?

2. A travelling businessman has to choose between two airlines who offer travel between frequent work destinations. The company he works for has to bear the expense. One airline offers the businessman points that could eventually be cashed in for personal travel while the other doesn't. The other airline however provides a lower cost choice and possibly a faster connection.

The businessman nevertheless picks the first as there is personal gain for him even though it is not the best business decision. Would most people consider this a bribe?

Since I am mostly a UA FF, I posted it here. Apologize in advance if there is a more appropriate place.

Very interested to know your thoughts.

Peace!