FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Corolla, Camry or Chevrolet Impala
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:31 pm
chemist661
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
These are the classes booking on the US site.

The Corolla is considered midsize in the green collection. I recently got one on a midsize reservation. I'm 5'10" and the manual drivers seat barely goes back far enough. (it was OK for me but for someone taller, comfort may be an issue). It does gets excellent gas/petro mileage.

The Camry is considered fullsize. (green collection). The driver's seat is usually power assisted and goes back a ways. May be good for a tall driver. The car is larger and gets pretty decent mileage for being a larger car. For the US site, it usually prices more than a full size car since it in the "green" collection. Green according to Hertz means above average fuel mileage. Usually, they are 4 cyl models and the LE (mid model).

The full size can be pretty good. It can range from a larger car with a V-6 (Chevrolet Impala) to a smaller car. I recently received an Impala on a compact car reservation and we enjoyed the car. It does use more gas/petro than other full size cars but it does have a V-6 and IMHO is a very decent motorway/freeway car. Hertz usually have cars more loaded with options than other rental companies. Our Impala had sunroof, leather, heated seats (my wife loved that), etc. The full size category can vary alot with Hertz.

I would say reserve the Toyota Camry since it has reasonable amount of room and it would normally be the most expensive category of the 3 choices. (in the US Hertz system). There is no guarantee you will get a Camry but you may be able to get a larger (better) Premium car since the Camry (full size Green Collection) is usually priced more than full size.

Bottom line: Your experience (mileage) may vary. (YMMV for short). Don't do Corolla since it may not fit a tall person as well as the others. Go for Camry in my opinion.