FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling Overseas While Pregnant - any tips?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:21 am
aoreo

Programs: Delta Plt, AA Plt, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Lead apron? Does he mean the whole flight? That I just don't get.

Driving up the mountain: well, if we're talking a half day outing, just take it easy and drink your Gatorade - altitude sickness when pregnant is no fun, speaking as one who has experienced it. I went from home at sea level to 9,000 ft and went hiking in midsummer while 20 weeks PG, not my brightest move. But adequate fluid and rest can prevent problems. Just don't bike down Haleakala.

Definitely refuse the x-ray scanner if any airport travel through has them as part of security - head over to the Travel Safety and Security forum for more info on why/how to do that.

Compression socks - try google. I think TravelSmith.com has them, but I'm not sure. Likely amazon.com does, they have everything else on the planet these days.
Yep, the doc said I could think about getting a lead apron to cover my ab area during the flight to shield myself I guess. Sounded a lil outrageous to me. I'm sure I will be in theee most comfortable state with that heavy thing on me for 16+ hours.

Hmmm... so going to Haleakala is not totally out of the question?! I was trying to read up and sounded like there were mixed recommendations. Of course the doc was not all too helpful with this one either... his answer was simply... well common sense, the higher you go, the less oxygen for you and the baby. Glad he was just a temp doc while mine was out.

I guess I'll think about that one. I would love to go. My hubby and I just went last year and it was beautiful.... This year we are taking our parents and it would suck to sit in the hotel, not being with them. But at the same time I don't want to risk anything either.