FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying domestically with felony warrant??
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
If he knows he has warrants, he should take care of them.
Excellent advice, but it doesn't address the OP's question.

Originally Posted by cordelli
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Unless they have some reason to run his ID (he's noticed in the SPOT checks as behaving like he has a warrant, his name is close to somebody on the watch list, etc) he will probably be fine getting through security.

I would be more concerned going to a family member's funeral in my home state, that just sounds like an easy place to catch him, sort of like he's expected to be there. He seriously needs legal advice here.
Because they have been oh so busy looking for him in the past 10 years and this is now their one chance . . .

Originally Posted by justplainme
(I think he is actually just as worried about actually flying as he is worried about getting caught and arrested while flying! He has never flown before)
Originally Posted by justplainme
so just to make triple sure, none of you have ever heard of anyone with a warrant hanging over their head getting arrested at the airport (at least this type of warrant) I'm sure everyone has heard of child molestors or murderers getting arrested)?? Or know of any new security measures they take that check for these kinds of things now? I just want to make sure before I talk to him tonight, he leaves for the airport in the morning and he is a nervous wreck. I know he would drive if he had the time but he doesn't.
Your friend should take care of his warrant but . . .

With respect to air travel wholly within the USA, there is no current procedure that routinely runs passengers' names, genders and/or dates of birth through law enforcement databases in search of open warrants. Such a system doesn't exist. The way for your friend to get caught would be for a cop to run his ID. That is unlikely unless he attracts the attention of a cop though the TSA does have Behaivor Detection Officers (BDOs)-- you can read up on them here and elsewhere-- and if he is suspicious to them, they might be inclined to call the police and the police would then run his ID. Absent such a situation, your friend isn't going to have his ID run for warrants while flying within the USA.

I haven't really seen airport cops do anything other than use their butts on a regular basis, so I wouldn't exactly worry about "active" patrol like on the street where cops will pull someone over for a very minor violation and then fish for more. Airport cops seem more "on call" than "on patrol" when I see them, except here in ORD where they seem more "on break" than anything else.