FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Claim made that average age of an AA flight attendant is 60!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:39 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
1. It's a BLOG, for Pete's sake!

2. The writer completely avoids committing himself to the veracity of the item:

a. "It purports to be from an American Airlines flight attendant, and I have no reason to believe that it isn't."

b. "I'm neither endorsing it nor condemning it, nor am I vouching for its accuracy;"

The writer is full of BS in many ways - I am well over the median age she claims for FAs, and I am quite sure I can pop or pop and toss a 20 kg / 44 lb hatch, as can a number of people I now in their 60s and 70s. (I also know people her age who could not.) The people she speaks of with such disdain must TEST regularly to demonstrate they can, in fact, perform the required duties. (Others have ably pointed out why the median age isnot likely to be 60 anyway.)

Other clues:

"Last year I made $34,000 working no less than 17 days a month. These are generally 12 hour long days from checkin time at work to arriving at our last destination for the day. I won't even take you into our work rules. We don't have time."

Wow, I now people who made that by working 22 (or more) days a month, with two+ hours of commuting each day, and with fewer benefits.

"I don't have all day to sit here and explain all of the reasons why our union sucks or American Airlines sucks. They both are to blame. They both need to stop acting like babies and step up to the plate."

Ah, yes, the sour grapes attitude toward life - life itself sucks, and end sin death. So, if it's all that bad and she's nearly been laid off several times, perhaps it's time to shut up and put up, or bail and find something more worthy of her presumed skills and abilities. (Hint: it's probably not writing, being an analyst, being objective or accepting the concept of personal accountability.)