FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:17 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by atldlff
Will you be involved? That is a major understatement. Between the four of us, we made announcements, scanned boarding passes, printed endless paperwork, got pilot and ramp sign-offs, catered ice that was missing, boarded an international flight, provided connecting flight assistance, handled mis-connected passengers and bags, answered an overwhelming amount of questions that come at you at an incredible pace - what gate is my flight was departing out of? Direct people to the Rest Rooms, the Sky Club, and the list goes on and on… and all this before 10:00 am.
Interestingly enough, while there were experiences as gate agents the four of us shared in common, we found that not only did we each have wildly varied and different experiences as gate agents between each other, but I was amazed at how each of the three flights at my gate were very different experiences as well.

Also, when making gate announcements, you may “ad-lib” and even use some humor, if you like. However, the gate agent with whom I worked cautioned that “a gate agent must know his audience.” For example, it might not be a good idea to play around with the passengers at the gate of an early Monday morning flight to LaGuardia Airport in New York.

What pleased me was that the gate agents with whom we worked revealed when they were de-briefed afterwards that they enjoyed this experiment as much as we did. Not only would they do it again, but there are many gate agents who want to do this as well.

Finally, for those of you who want to “walk a mile” — and that is literal, we found out this morning — in their shoes, be prepared to answer their questions of understanding how the mind of a frequent flier passenger works as well as asking them questions about the role and thought process of a gate agent. I found that not only did we understand each other significantly better by the time my “shift” was over, but that we grew much closer than at the start of the “shift” six hours earlier.

Again, the experience far surpassed my expectations...