FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aloft Brussels Schuman, Belgium [Master Thread]
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:00 pm
teckardt

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Frequent Flier ;)
Arrow Aloft Brussels Schuman, Belgium [Master Thread]

Hello

After I already thought I had seen all SPG hotels in Brussels, I of course had to acknowledge that there is a brand-new one: the infamous Aloft finally opened its doors in Brussels!

As I had some issues recently with the Sheraton downtown (and now finally going there again quite happily after everything is getting better...), I nevertheless wanted to give the Aloft a fair chance.

As from the office I would have to take tube to Rogier to get to the Sheraton, the Aloft was even somewhat better located - by foot it was somewhat between 10 and 15 minutes. The location is just next to the Leopoldpark and the Eurpean Parliament, which for sure will make it a perfect location for many people.

And before you think this is going to be lots of PR for this new hotel - I personally will not go back. But let me explain a little bit more ;-)

When I arrived there, I walked into the lobby. The lobby is of course not as in any "normal" hotel, but quite a cluster and mix-up of different things...
There is a round check-in counter quite centrally located, next to it a food court thing with self-service and pay at the CKI counter, the bar nearby, some area to sit down for either the grab-it-yourself stuff or the bar drinks.

This itself was quite okay, prices quite normal for Brussels hotels. But what I did not like was the way one is treated by staff. Not rude per se, but most certainly not very friendly either. Quite a young team, semi-unwilling explaining the new hotel and offering a rehearsed and fast recall of what the hotel has to offer. Nothing bad, but certainly not a warm friendly welcome and especially not something to be proud of for this Aloft...
Also I would not consider myself not as too old (36), the volume and the music selection in the lobby was most certainly not to the taste of me, and most people there (way older) didnīt enjoy it either...

After this okayish thing at best I finally was offered the only available PLAT gift: 500 points. And one voucher for a drink. But please not at the bar - you can grab yourself a coffee from the serve-yourself area... okay, I saved this one for the next day. Coffee is quite okay ;-)
I wonder that this Aloft does some PR with offering people on Eurostar to have two drinks for free, but for PLAT is really eager to tell you that you are not to use this voucher in the bar... anyway...

Internet is free for ALL guests - nice! But then you might want to have a look at the list of hotel with bad internet speeds. The Aloft Brussels (being only open for a month!) should not be on this list - but it was one of the worst WiFi experiences I had lately! Internet speed hardly existent and in the room only medium coverage with sometimes even being pinged out...

The rooms - very spartanic. The room was not too small, had a nice huge king bed in (very comfy I might add), a chair... Thatīs about it.

No seriously, the chair was below something which might be used as a desk, which was running along the wall. The TV was a nice 42" LCD - but then again they should add a nice list with TV programmes. They have a coffee maker in the room. Bath is really okay, only very limited stuff for taking a bath - unlike your common Sheraton or alike. The pillows were nice, but one was too flat - and two were just too big. Very picky here, but sorry, pillow is big point apart from bed. The silly Aloft rolls in psychodelic colours on the bed - no clue what to do with those... speaking about the colours: the room was mostly kept very darkish-brown nearly into black, but this was broken by some greenish stripe mixup from both the curtain, the bed and some other objects.

Later on I asked whether this was a room upgrade or what? I wondered because the big rooms should have a seperate living area - which mine certainly did not have. In the end I was told by staff that PLAT would get normal room, as for the other room they only have THREE! And not to bother poor PLATs with upgrading some and others not, all get the same room. Because they only have three... yeah, sure, nice try

During the night the whole lobby thing gets louder and maybe also more crowded with the bar serving enough alcohol. As I had to go with my people from office to some restaurant nearby, I arrived late enough not to see any more people in the lobby around midnight and the lobby being very quite already.

During the breakfast you can only serve yourself from this grab whatever you like point nearby the check-in and can sit nearby. For half the price I also could sit in some nicer cafe on my way to work ...

So in a nutshell: staff could really be nicer. I like the young profile and appearence with polo-shirts (albeit the colours...). But the whole approach towards client could be reconsidered. For check-in I was treated by three people, being cut short of talking twice because always accepting phone calls - and the other ones speaking to each other?!
For check-out I was told to do this on my own at this "cool" check-out computer. Just enter room number and first three letters of your surname, put in your credit card, and everything just will follow along. Being told by a service team member "I really like that machine" I wonder whether this is because he does not have to check me out, or ???

Rooms are okay, certainly very new, stylish, good bed. I did not like the room though - but that has something to do with personal taste. Others might find it quite nice. Could be less spartanic.

And something else about room number: my room number was not even on the sign. Go left for numbers a-b, right for x-y. Unfortunately, there were already three rooms missing on the sign. So I had to walk around and search my room. Staff knew about this issue, but doesnīt know how to fix it?! I had some ideas... never mind.

Location most certainly is very nice. If you are a young PA for some MEP and want to mingle with some other PAs, this hotel might hold everything and all you need. If you are just a silly old lad like I am, this hotel was nice to have a look at and next time go back to some other hotel in Brussels.

Donīt know whether this whole story was utterly helpful, but I had some mixed feelings in the end about this Aloft thing and do not even know for sure whether to recommend going there or just advise against it altogether.

Given that it is a brand-new hotel, maybe things have to come together a little bit more. I would be interested for some other FT comment on this one.

Kindest regards as always

~t

PS Originally I wanted to discuss pricing and availability with reservations, as I was considering getting some of my team colleagues in there for next year. But given the mediocer service, the inability to get a reasonable priced breakfast and the high prices altogether, I decided against in the next morning and just check-out without ever mention again to see someone from reservations