FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:07 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
September 2010 Update

Just stayed at this property when attending the VIE Do 2010. Here are photos of the property.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...-renaissance-/

Basically what everyone said above in this thread is still valid.

I took the S7 from the airport to the Rennweg station, which was cheap. To get to this hotel I definitely would not bother w/ the CAT Train to Wien Mitte & its increased expense, since you'd also have to backtrack one stop to Rennweg and by the time you do that you're probably looking at the same time as the S7.

The S7 departs Vienna Airport at :18 & :48. The CAT departs airport at :05 & :35. Didn't check to see what time S7 leaves from Rennweg back to airport. Think something like :55?

I had bought a 72-hour pass (think it was 13Euros) & the add-on for the S7 was 1.80Euro.

Exiting Rennweg it's a 2-3 minute walk to the hotel on Ungargasse (you head up the escalator, exit & then turn left onto Ungargasse), with most of that being walking alongside the hotel property as it's a very long hotel. To get to Wien Mitte/Landstrasse which is the next stop past Rennweg & which allows you to contact to the various Ubahns, just catch any train on Platform 1. As someone else mentioned, there is also Tram 71 & Tram 0.

BTW - there is a 'shortcut' if you want to get to the platform from the hotel. When exiting the lobby, instead of turning right toward Ungargasse, turn left & go to the end of the driveway & then turn left along the back of the hotel. In front of you is the building/station. When you get to it, go up the steps (there's a Five Stars health club sign in front of you) & when you get to the top, turn right & about 10 feet ahead you'll see stairs going down which takes you straight to the platform.

I was able to figure out the shortcut when exiting the hotel (thanks to Starbucks showing it to me!), but could never figure it out when arriving at the station so would walk along the street then.

I was upgraded to a junior suite/biz suite on the 7th floor which I think is club level. There is no 7th floor listed in the elevator. You put your room key card in the slot & it goes up automatically to the 7th floor.

Room I had came with free wired internet. You connect to Vienna Kinsky (think that was it), and then plug in your name/room number & accept the charge (they take it off internally). Also, you can access wireless in the exec lounge. I did that via my Boingo account, but think the room/name works there as well.

Because the hotel is an older property, it doesn't have the 110V electrical outlet, along w/ the 220v. So you'll need to bring a adapter if you're staying here & want to plug into electricity for laptop or to charge electronic devices.

As mentioned, the exec lounge is in the building across the driveway on the ground floor. Quite long; multiple rooms. Because of the ceiling to floor windows seems very open & airy. I didn't make breakfast in the lounge, so can't address that. They have fruit, chips, peanuts out during the day, along with desserts/sweets. The wine & champagne is private labeled (the red wine was pretty good). The evening offerings are pretty robust, but I didn't have any due to VIE Do activities.

Not sure where to put this but when you turn into the driveway to enter the property,at the very end facing you is a beautiful Russian Orthodox church. I did a quick double-take, thinking wow - is this part of the hotel? Is this a film set? No, but it is beautiful.

As is the lobby w/ it's soaring ceilings & pillars. Evidently in a previous life this really was the imperial riding school, hence the name.

I didn't eat in the restaurant, although it looked nice & there were tables in the garden outside.

The hotel has a pool (indoor) & I was going to arrange for a massage w/ the spa folk, but the availability didn't work out w/ my schedule. Prices for the massages seemed reasonable.

While I like the VIE Marriott because of its location in the city center, I would definitely stay at Imperial Riding School again

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 2, 2010 at 9:59 am