FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When flying United out of IAD: Do you take People Mover or Aerotrain?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:29 pm
DCA writer

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Aerotrain departing, people mover returning

I'm enough of an aviation nerd to enjoy the view of the ramp from a people mover. But when I have a plane to catch, the possibility of being held up waiting for taxiing aircraft to clear the way makes me nervous. The train--if it's working, and if my flight is at the C gates--doesn't involve that anxiety.

When I'm returning, I don't have that time pressure, and I don't mind soaking in the view from the people mover. OTOH, it's not like I've had a choice--both of my arrivals at IAD since the Aerotrain entered service either arrived at the D gates or landed after the train had shut down.

(The people movers would be a little more interesting if they took me directly to the plane. But I've only done that once, back in 1990 or 1991. Does IAD still use them for their original intended purpose with any airlines? I can't remember seeing any H gates listed on the departure screens lately.)