FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAs making up rules...
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:52 am
belynch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
My last two trips have been with lead FAs who decided to make the final approach announcement - and enforce it - on their own terms, as opposed to waiting for the "double ding" and the illumination of the sterile cockpit light.
This is the most common thing I encounter. If I'm told to stop work on my laptop or turn off my iPod above 10k, when there's no turbulence, I politely say that I'm wrapping stuff up and will have everything off at 10,000. More often than not they let it go at that because they have a sense that I know the rules, am observant, and am committing to abide by the rules.

Other times I get serious push-back and am told that I have to listen to them / am interfering / etc. I always comply because it's not worth anyone's time/trouble/or effort to fight over doing an extra five minutes of work.

There's other odd-ball ones that happen from time to time but they are generally just one-offs. 30 minute no standing rule into DCA (). COCO pass riders taking 1B and then telling me it's "open seating" when it's obviously not ().

Although, to be fair, I've had more "rogue" rules set-forth by UA GA's (not saying that to spite anyone, I'm being serious).