FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:22 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtalk25
For someone that is 6' tall, will the legroom be very tight? Or, would cramped at 2 hours be tolerable?

The route I'm looking into is ACY-MYR-ORD (seasonal until October) and next year: ACY-ORD flights.

Do these seats usually fill up or is it that there is likely to be an empty seat for every occupied seat? Right now Spirit has $36 fares (comes to $130 round trip after taxes), but even just 2-3 days in advance.
I'm about 6' tall and it's very cramped. This is on their traditional aircraft -- I haven't yet flown on a plane with their new seats (the ones that don't recline).

Frankly, it's uncomfortable -- the worst thing about the airline. You essentially can't sit with your legs completely forward at 6', so taller men tend to spread their legs apart to be more comfortable. Obviously, this works best if the middle seat is empty. What your odds are of having that seat free are hard to estimate and, because, Spirit assigns seats randomly (if you don't pay for an assigned seat), it's hard to game. Of course, if there are empty seats on the plane when the door closes, you can just move (I've done this).

But if the fare is $36 and everyone else is well over $100, I personally will sacrifice a little comfort to save the money. I doubt Spirit sells many seats to biz travellers who have other people paying for their seats, though! And I do wonder how I'd do on one of their longer flights, like FLL-LAX nonstop.