FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:24 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
It's likely for legal liability reasons. There's a reason why people (especially women) feel more comfortable going to a doctor of the same sex. There's a reason why bathrooms are segregated by sex in this country as well.

I certainly understand your point and it's nice to see people not hung up on gender, but it's rather impossible to tell someone's sexual orientation and indeed some people are attracted to both sexes.

Having someone patted down by someone of the same sex greatly reduces the likely hood of any sort of issue caused by a complaint by the TSA officer or the person being search.

In terms of people's comments on sexual arousal, I was patted down last week. It's not invasive and unless the TSA starts hiring supermodels, there's not much stimulation to it.

In terms of the gender neutrality, I think they do this in Europe as well from what I recall. They're not nearly as crazy and repressed about sex as people are in the United States.

If the rules violated the constitution then someone would sue and the rather conservative court would overturn the rules. Nobody has been able to prove that anything you're talking about is against the constitution. You sort of forgot to mention that in your argument so I thought I'd help out.

They likely do. Why don't you ask next time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_...s_Constitution

Originally Posted by castrobenes
The reason that your crotch is searched is that bad guys can hide things in the crotch area. Security is a balancing act. Every increase in security is also an increase in intrusiveness. Your elected representatives hired TSA senior leaders who decided that pat downs of the crotch area were an acceptable increase in intrusiveness to deal with the threat.

If you disagree with this decision, your primary option is to elect different representatives who will hire TSA leaders who they can direct to come to a different decision or your new representatives can eliminate the TSA. Alternatively you can lobby your current representatives, or run yourself.

Another option is to develop a test case to determine the constitutionality of TSA administrative searches. I would suggest that a good test case is to refuse the pat down so that you are denied entry into the sterile area, and then argue before the court that it was impermissible for TSA to deny your right to fly because you refused an intrusive search. I would be very interested to hear what the court had to say on this issue.

I am not persuaded that you are assaulted and battered after you voluntarily submit to a search. If you feel strongly about this, take the moral high ground and refuse the screening process.

castro
When new federal regulations are created by various agencies it is the norm for a public comment period to discuss the proposed action.

TSA seems to side step this process making up any rules as it likes while keeping the public in the dark.

That is not how a representative government works.

Being assaulted by a government employee is not acceptable.

TSA is not acceptable!

TSA is the worst thing to ever happen to this country and I hope its employees receive their just rewards.

Originally Posted by castrobenes
The reason that your crotch is searched is that bad guys can hide things in the crotch area. Security is a balancing act. Every increase in security is also an increase in intrusiveness. Your elected representatives hired TSA senior leaders who decided that pat downs of the crotch area were an acceptable increase in intrusiveness to deal with the threat.

If you disagree with this decision, your primary option is to elect different representatives who will hire TSA leaders who they can direct to come to a different decision or your new representatives can eliminate the TSA. Alternatively you can lobby your current representatives, or run yourself.

Another option is to develop a test case to determine the constitutionality of TSA administrative searches. I would suggest that a good test case is to refuse the pat down so that you are denied entry into the sterile area, and then argue before the court that it was impermissible for TSA to deny your right to fly because you refused an intrusive search. I would be very interested to hear what the court had to say on this issue.

I am not persuaded that you are assaulted and battered after you voluntarily submit to a search. If you feel strongly about this, take the moral high ground and refuse the screening process.

castro
Exactly where can I find the exact details of the search procedure I am voluntarily submitting to?

If I find out I will be subject to a pat down can I withdraw at that point?

Without that information consent has not been given.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts