FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:37 pm
WillR

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by PTravel
I don't think this is a case of heteronormative social convention. We are talking about very intimate contact with an area of the body for which contact is NEVER made available to others, except in connection with sex and medical treatment. As with the previous poster, I am more comfortable with a female doctor than a male when it comes to this kind of examination. A gay male may or may not have a different preference. A straight male may or may not have a different preference. MY preference is that I don't want to be groped by someone of my gender. Of course, I'd prefer not to be groped at all, but if someone's going to do it, I'd rather it be a woman. I think personal preference should be honored without regard or assumption as to the sexual orientation or gender identity of the person being groped.
Sure. But that's not the system, and the system of same-sex screener is so totally accepted that it is barely commented on.

The reason it's heteronormative is because it assumes all people are straight, straight people won't be aroused or uncomfortable with people of the same gender, and therefore screening should proceed with same-sex screeners.

The solution is to allow the preference of the screened to determine the gender of the screener, AND to restrict groping to when it is necessary only (ie NOT when boarding planes).