FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I fly with gold coins/bullion?
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:47 am
LoganTSO

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
Hundreds of coin dealers fly every few months to attend coin shows with millions of dollars in hand-carried coins/currency/bullion. (I'm a currency buff myself)

Coin forum threads about first-hand dealer experiences differ greatly from the "doom & gloom" guessing in this one. I'm sure there are many stories of Ma & Pa losing their rare coins and such during bag checks to opportunistic thugs. However, I don't recall any stories about coin dealers having the same theft issues with TSA. I'm sure that going in with a large "inventory", knowing what to expect, and requesting a controlled search environment differentiates you. As long as you hand-carry, and nothing of value is checked in, you should be fine.

Travel with a friend, if you can, and bring all of your valuables as carry-on. Its usually possible to get the X-Ray operator's attention, and then to let him know the bag you're about to send through will need a private screening. If you're pretty paranoid, ask that at least one of the screeners checking your bag to be a lead. Two screeners will be in the room with you, and you and your travel companion should have a clear line of sight on both of them as they go through your things. When they're finished, let them know you'd like to repack yourself, and do a mini-inventory of all your belongings before you leave.

Here's a good read on the subject, if you have the time. It's a little dated, (FAA regulation number #108.9???), but the general information is still relevant. Flying Wise: Security in the Skies.
First off, I two am a currency buff, amateur that is... collecting coins here and there every once in a while.

Anyways, the ANA just held their World's Fair of Money and this year's location was none other than Boston. Essentially... what described above happened... about 100x over the last two days of the show.

The checkpoints I was at we had no problems reported. We had no trouble and were accommodating. Nevertheless, we had some trouble.

But it's going hit, gold is so dense and soft like lead it's going to be a black, black spot on the x-ray monitor.

So yeah, prepare for that, ask for a private screening and a supervisor. My advice is choose a courier, that would be the best bet to avoid the hassle.