FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My craziest trip to date - An odyssey of premium travel! 108 hours, 16 airlines, C/F
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:48 am
jacob_m

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
KUL-SIN on Silkair in C

As I got off the plane in Kuala Lumpur I had 50 minutes until my next flight, which should be more than enough.
I was not particularly worried about myself, but rather about my checked luggage, I would not have liked a delayed bag on this trip. Since I would be away for a reasonably long time and planned to do some shopping (and bring lots of airline goodies home) there was no option but to bring a checked suitcase. In fact it grew by 7 kg during the trip!

Ironically I was connecting to Singapore in Kuala Lumpur, on Silkair, and the delayed SriLankan flight I arrived on was also continuing to Singapore.
I was not aware of that when I booked the ticket, and no matter what I wanted to try another airline on the next leg. Both Silkair and Malaysian Airlines make the short 185 miles hop to Singapore, and I had not tried any of them.
I would very much have liked to fly Malaysian Airlines, to get access to their Golden lounge in Kuala Lumpur, but Silkair had the most convenient departure.

For those of you not familiar with Silkair I can mention it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore Airlines. They operate mainly regional routes from Singapore (many of which were previously operated directly by SQ) using a fleet of Airbus A319 and A320.
However Silkair is not part of Star Alliance and my SAS/Star Alliance gold card was of no use on this flight, but of course I was entitled to lounge access as a business class passenger.

Inside the terminal building I followed the transfer signs that led me to the centre of the X-shaped satellite building where there was a transfer centre.
The place was deserted, but no mention of Silkair anywhere. I asked one of the agents but they told me transfer check-in for Silkair was done at the gate, so I should go there.

Pics
The very airy international satellite at KLIA

Singapore Airlines Silverkris Lounge, Kuala Lumpur

With no luck at the transfer centre I spotted the sign for the Singapore Airlines lounge (which I knew Silkair uses in Kuala Lumpur) and decided to try my luck there. It was conveniently located right between the transfer centre and the departure gate for the flight to Singapore.

The lounge agent was friendly but was not able to issue a boarding pass and directed me to the gate.
Since there was still 45 minutes left until departure, the gate was right below the lounge and the aircraft in question had not even landed yet, I asked if I could make a quick visit in the lounge first (you do get thirsty when you rush through airports).
She was a bit hesitant at first, but made a quick phone call to the gate and then let me in.

The lounge was very small but had a nice modern interior. It looked much nicer than when I visited it last time.
The view was also very nice, but again the main problem is the size as it just has enough seats to cater for a full business class flight to Singapore.

There was a small but adequate self-service buffet with some finger sandwiches, fresh fruit, soup and some hot snacks as well as a reasonable selection of drinks.

I had a glass of orange juice and some fresh fruits and had a seat by the window to enjoy the sunny weather and the apron view. A moment later I could see the Silkair A320 arrive and park right below the lounge.

Pics
The entrance to the Singapore Airlines lounge
Inside the lounge
The self-service buffet area
Newspapers and magazines
The Silkair A320 arriving while waiting in the lounge

Transfer check-in

After a few minutes in the lounge I proceeded to the gate where the security check also took place.
At the small transfer desk they were expecting me.
I was quickly checked in to Singapore but unfortunately there were no window seats left, I was assigned 03D. Not a major issue for a 45 minutes flight, but I do enjoy having a view, especially when travelling in other parts of the world.

Silkair is handled by Singapore Airlines in Kuala Lumpur and the very friendly agent decided to try and check me in also for the connecting flight. I guess she noticed I was connecting to SQ F and that probably made some difference.
At the end she managed to check me in but had problems printing the boarding pass, it should obviously be printed on a proper red first class boarding pass.
In the meantime she prepared an invitation to The Private Room in Singapore and asked me to have a seat in the gate lounge while they made a last try with the boarding pass.

I had a seat in the crowded gate lounge with my golden Private Room invitation in my hand, with a smile on my lips (and with other people staring). This was something I was really looking forward to...

While waiting at the gate I could see the checked luggage being loaded on the flight. There was not a lot of checked luggage and I could easily spot my suitcase, I was relieved that never became a problem...

Eventually the gate agent was back and apologised they had not managed to print the boarding pass. She said she had written a message in my PNR so they would arrange it in Singapore. Certainly not the end of the world...

Pics
The Silkair A320 at the gate

Boarding

Boarding was announced 15 minutes before departure with priority boarding for business class and PPS members.

Business class on the Airbus A320 had four rows with a 2-2 configuration. The seat was wide and quite comfortable but the seat pitch was nothing to write home about.
Of course this did not matter much on a 45 minutes flight...

A pre-departure drink was offered, a choice between water and orange juice, as well as newspapers (The Straits Times and I believe the Malaysian equivalence is called Star).

Business class was pretty much full on the flight, there was only one empty seat.
A safety video was shown on the screens and the same info was provided by one of the FAs in Malay.

Just as we were getting ready to leave a male gate agent enters the cabin, he stops at my seat and asks me if I am Mr jacob_m. After confirming that’s indeed me he hands me a first class boarding pass for my connecting flight in Singapore.
Wow! They really struggled until the very end, a big hands up for that! ^ ^

Pics
The business class cabin onboard
The business class seat
Legroom and seat controls
Ready for departure...

Kuala Lumpur-Singapore, flight MI 335 operated by Silkair
Departure: 14:30
Arrival: 15:25
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Class: Business Class
Seat: 03D

Pushback right on time and we took off at 2.45 pm from runway 32R.

This was a short flight but they still attempted to perform a proper inflight service.
In business class there was a choice between a chicken sandwich and an egg and mayo croissant. Juice, coffee and water were also served but no alcohol due to the short flight time.
I had the chicken sandwich, a glass of water and a cup of coffee. Nothing spectacular, but perfectly fine for the short flight.

Very impressively the FA addressed every passenger by name when taking the meal order, of course reading from a piece of paper, but anyway... Nice touch! ^
I sat next to a French man on the flight who absolutely had no idea what the FA was saying when she presented the meal options, but he seemed happy with the flight anyway.

The crew onboard consisted of four young women, very friendly, and they really did the most out of the flight.
They were all wearing a neon green uniform which was really cool! It certainly stood out...

Pics
Inflight meal in business class

Arrival in Singapore

The flight was short and just as I had finished my chicken sandwich we started our descent to Singapore.
The tables were cleared, the cabin was prepared for landing and we touched down five minutes early on runway 20C at Changi.

Silkair uses terminal 2 in Singapore, just like Singapore Airlines for its shorter flights to south-east Asia.

Verdict

A short flight and not much to comment about really, but the inflight service was nice and the crew worked hard during the flight.
I was most impressed by the ground staff in Kuala Lumpur who struggled until the aircraft doors were nearly closed to print my boarding pass.

Next it’s time for another fabulous experience. It’s probably going to be another long instalment and I do have a large number of photos to upload.

Next stop: Singapore Airlines The Private Room and Singapore Airlines First Class on the B77W...

Last edited by jacob_m; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:44 pm