FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California trip and hotels advice needed...what to do?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:27 am
bizzylizzy

California trip and hotels advice needed...what to do?

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope it's not a confusing one!!

OK. Hubby and I have suddenly decided to book a last minute holiday to California/San Francisco - flying from the UK. We contacted a very, very good company called Trailfinders who are offering us an 11 day trip, flying into LAX with an overnight stay. We then pick up a hire car and do our own thing for the next 6 days before heading into San Francisco for a four night stay.

Now we're suddenly wondering whether 10 days is enough time to do the whole fly drive sightseeing thing and that it might make the break to frantic. Particularly trying to find places to stay at this busy time of year. So should we leave it for another year when we can book a longer holiday and plan it more carefully?

We have until tomorrow to decide whether we want to take this option. To cut a long story short, we've not had a decent holiday abroad for over 15 years, I won't bore you with the sad and sorry details. I really do want to find a holiday that doesn't involve to much stress for either of us as we're both in dire need of a break. We're not the lazing around kinds. We'd like to do the touristy things, ie Alcatraz, museums, galleries etc. We also enjoy theatre and concerts and eating out.

We're now wondering whether we should try and change the holiday to just San Francisco. I'm assuming there's enough to do there to keep us occupied for 6 or 7 days? I know that touristy things are usually expensive, but there must be other cheaper options for things to do.

The other option is to fly into San Francisco rather than LAX and drive North for a few days and take in the vineyards and national parks and then drop down to San Francisco for a few days.

I know this is confusing... I'm confusing myself What it amounts to is.. what would be the most stress free holiday for us both that involves spending some or all of our time in San Francisco.

I hope you can help.

Annabelle