FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airmiles redemption on Westjet -- Airmiles scamming?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:56 am
YYC Guy

Location: Calgary, AB, Canada AC Elite, SPG Plat, CO Onepass Gold
Originally Posted by Elli
I fully agree, the insurance is way too high, but if you don't purchase the ins. and have to cancel the flight, you lose all your air miles.
I don't think anybody here is complaining about the cost of the insurance. (My concern was how they sell it: overly agressive, and reeking of heavily incented tele-sales agents.)

But if we're talking trip insurance, well, IMHO, the kind of insurance that AM is peddling is a suckers bet. Insure a $20K family cruise that you book 2 years in advance and paid for in cash? Yes. But pay my hard-earned money to insure a couple thousand 'frequent shopper' points from AM? Nope, not me. I'll take my chances.

Anyhoo, the concerns raised here are about all of the other allegedly mandatory fees and taxes that AM tacks on to a reward flight, the stupidly high $ cost of getting a 'free' flight from Air Miles, and whether or not all of those charges that AM hits you with are 'legit'.