FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TEMPo 15025G35KT 0100 +SN FZFG OVC000 SNOCLO
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:26 pm
B747-437B

Part 6 : Epilogue

I started writing this report in early January, before many of the events recounted here even took place. Over the weeks and months that followed, chronicling the experiences of "The Month Hell (and Europe) Froze Over" helped keep me sane and put things into perspective.

In April, a volcano named Eyjafjallajökull single-handedly caused more trouble in a week than every incident narrated in this report put together. After 5 years doing this job virtually nonstop, I had reached my limit. I'm barely on the wrong side of 30, but my work life was physically affecting my health. Leave aside injured knees and broken teeth, I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I turned in my notice at the end of April and took on a purely advisory role. The following month, my former employers succumbed to the wrath of Eyjafjallajökull and suspended operations. I planned a vacation. As of today, I haven't set foot in an airport for almost 2 months. I'm happier than I've been in years. I'm advising a couple of planned start-up airlines in West Africa. One day, if they get off the ground, I might take on a similar role there.

If the reader could take only one thing away from this report, I would like it to be the reminder that airline employees are human beings too. I've been privileged to work with some superb people. This piece is dedicated to them.

Thanks for reading. May your travels be safe and comfortable.

Last edited by B747-437B; Aug 16, 2010 at 6:01 am