FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever feel like the odd person out?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:03 am
yamakake

Programs: DL DM
I'm with the OP on this one.

1. A room corridor is not an appropriate place for hotel guests to congregate under any circumstances: the hotel provides other venues for this activity which are away from guest rooms and keep the congregants from disturbing guests with their conversation. This has nothing to do with the gender of the congregants, just the fact that they will inevitably not be silent (which is what most people are when they are in hotel corridors traveling to and from their rooms).

2. I go to some trouble to keep the location of my room private. When checking into a hotel with a group of male colleagues I will even hang back until the men have gone to their rooms and then ask the clerk to give me a room on a different floor.

Do I actually think that I'm at any real risk from these colleagues, most of whom I've known for years and most of whom I'd trust to drag me from a burning building? No, not really. But I also know that many men are wired in such a way that the combined mental pictures of woman + hotel room (possibly + alcohol) sets off a series of subsequent mental pictures that I'd rather they not entertain.

If you add the sort of convivial group think (by which I mean that more than one guy in the group probably experienced a fleeting inappropriate thought, and then they realized that they'd all had the same fleeting thought, and that's a bit of a bonding experience right there even if they are the sort of guys who'd never actually act on the thought) that it seems the OP might have encountered in her original post, well, I'm definitely with her on this one.

As for asking the hotel for the group to move out of the hallway, one need only invoke the initial argument, that the guest room hallway is not meant to be a place to congregate in hotels.