FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever feel like the odd person out?
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:42 pm
phedre

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
*snort* have I ever felt like the odd person out? I'm a white female that consults in technology. The number of times i've had other women on my projects I can count on one hand, and the vast majority of men tend to come from India. Add in that I tend to work in the US 60% of the time, and have to fly down from Canada, and I'm ALWAYS the odd person out.

It's never made me feel unsafe or unwelcome. You run into some cultural differences, and some people are friendlier than others, but it's never been a cause for concern. Most people are friendly at least, if not overly ready to head out and socialize with me. I always find at least a couple of people on any project who are willing to have fun and go to lunch/dinner with me, so it's not really an issue.

In any situation where a large group of people know each other and you don't know anyone, you're going to feel slightly uncomfortable. The only thing I can say is either start talking to random people (not easy if you're a shy introvert like I am), or smile and nod, and realise that 99% of the male population is not out to get you.

Do I thnk the OP was wrong for calling security? Not if she felt threatened. Hell, I've called hotel security a number of times due to parties in rooms close to mine when the noise level got unbearable. But perhaps it's time to examine WHY you feel threatened?