FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 10 days alone in London et al
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:18 am
localady

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I am headed to London late September alone and couldn't be happpier but do want to ensure my safety as well. I am actually looking forward to being alone.

I am thinking of trekking by high speed train or plane to Paris for an overnight as well, just because I can!

Haven't booked hotel yet, but will soon.

Have you any ideas of where to avoid as a single woman traveling alone and other steps I can do to ensure my safety?

Many many thanks!
OOOOHhhhhhhh... I'm so envious... London is one of my favorite cities and I've done quite a few 7+ day trips alone to there. I really do feel perfectly safe in most areas. A couple of weeks ago I was still out at 1:00am taking night shots of the tower bridge and there were gobs of people around there... Even in September/October I feel safe being around around 10:00 or 10:30pm... At night, I try to stick around the river and the underground areas where there are tourist sights (Embankment, Tower Bridge, Piccadilly, Charring Cross. Leicester, Westminster) and even feel pretty safe seeing a play at night . I'm not sure how much I'd be walking around Victoria Station area at night or other less populated areas.

Don't know if you have a specific hotel in mind, but I generally stay in Kensington between the Gloucester and Earl's Court at a small place called Park International. I've got to know the people there quite well and even at night there are enough people walking on the street if I feel like stopping at one of the local pubs for a drink before heading back to the hotel...

Have a great trip and PM me if you want to talk more...