FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Living in Calgary without a car?
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:31 pm
RCyyz

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Here's a link to Calgary Transit. The pdf map of all the routes is quite detailed.

You're talking about Houston & Calgary - probably safe to assume you're an oil & gas guy eh?

You may find Canadian life a bit different from the American way. Personally I find that as soon as you get outside of YYZ, people become normal and less hard-a$$ed. Though I really enjoy living & working in YYZ, the sometimes less than charitable perception that some Canadians carry about YYZ is not entirely unjustified.

To that end, I find folks in YYC to be hard-working of course, but at the same time more able to relax. (Especially at Stampede!) While Canadians don't quite have the European "I work in order to live" mentality, we don't entirely have the American "I live in order to work" mentality either.

You may find that getting outside of a 10km radius is not all that uncommon during the week. Or you may find yourself chained to your desk. Who knows? But I will say that despite my aforementioned perception that downtown YYC is deserted, YYC as a whole is far from being a place where all you do is work during the week. I suspect that on the whole, you'll end up doing more than just going to work, going home day after day.