FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:09 am
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by AtariBaby
@mre so it was bad that she admitted she has a boyfriend here?
Not from my perspective, but then again I've been in the same situation as your gf (in my case, a Canadian who had an American gf) so I am biased in your favor.

From the perspective of U.S. immigration, something which I learned the hard way, if they are aware of a romantic relationship, they will want to be certain that your gf does not intend to marry you on that trip, and then apply for permanent residency on the basis of the marriage. This is called "intended immigration" ... when someone enters the U.S. claiming to be a visitor but in fact intends to immigrate, even legally, that is a no no (and can delay or prevent your wife from immigrating to the U.S.). Instead, that someone is expected to obtain a fiance visa. In a sense, the CBP officer is doing your gf a favor. If you two decide to get married and intend to live in the U.S. consult a lawyer before you present her with an engagement ring or disclose an engagement to any one.

Since she did not intend to marry you on that trip, then she did herself no favor by disclosing the relationship. OTOH, coming for 28 days with an itinerary limited to one locale that is presumably not vacation spot does raise eyebrows, so the facts of your relationship were going to come out. If she had a vacation cabin/condo/etc., then the CBP would not have batted an eye; they understand what snowbirds are, as long as they don't stay beyond the legal maximum (6 months for Canadian visitors?).

If this relationship is worth it to you, then you should see a U.S. immigration lawyer who can advise you and your gf about how she can enter the U.S. successfully and repeatably.

Originally Posted by sailman
It sounds to me as if your thread has already has answered the question of who should move where. There is no mention of your being similarly treated as your girlfriend when you enter Canada. In my opinion the situation at US airports has only gotten worse in time, and may very well continue to do so.
Canadian border services are no better than the CBP in this situation.