FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:32 am
teammjs

Originally Posted by JB5150
Ok, I got a low targeted offer but applied through the 50K/50K link. I did NOT enter my AA number just in case the offer is tied to that. I figure I can always combine the accounts later. I did not get instantly approved. I spoke with a CSR who confirmed the 50K initial offer but could not confirm any bonus miles for spending. They hit experian for me, just fyi.
I was just wondering about this. Is it possible Citi now has a filter in place that is not (just) looking at SSN but also AA# to find previous card holders? Since their computer has to communicate with AA to coordinate the miles from spend, this doesn't seem beyond the realm of unreason.

In fact, I could see this as much more likely than trying to have a system that vets offer codes by each e-mail account. For example, I've gotten AA card offers in e-mail months after holding the existing card, so I don't think there's much screen or effort between the solicitations and whether you can actually get approval-- even when it comes directly to you.

If I get dinged now, maybe I'll reapply in October after 60 days goes by without an existing AA number. Worth the headache if only way to get 75-100k.

P.S. jcmitchell21, thanks so much for taking the time to consolidate the links!