FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how to search by distance
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:54 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how to SORT by distance???

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I, too, like that function and it is still there -- near the top of the screen in the middle. The default 15 miles would be nearly useless for me!
No, it's not still there.

Ok, the choice of 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles, or 15 miles is still there, but the ability to sort the results by distance (very necessary with no choices between 1 mile and 5 miles when there's very few restaurants within 1 mile but many pages of them within 5 miles in many major metropolitan areas) is gone. (As is the ability to even see the distance of each location!)

I found the old default of sorting by distance extremely useful, and the new choices hardly of any use at all. I hardly ever need to sort by name, or by rating, or by neighborhood (on a 5-mile search, all the restaurants are likely to be in the same neighborhood!), by favorites (a useless type of search when searching for new places, especially with the current promo for dining in new places), and occasionally but rarely need to sort on price range. But 90% of the time I need to sort by distance, and now I can't do that! Why???????????????????????????

If there's not enough columns, allow to choose which columns to include and which to leave out. (I'd much rather give up the Neighborhood column -- useful for doing a search but pretty useless in my experience in a search around an address -- than distance from the address that I searched.)

What's the point of searching by address if you can't get the distance from that address???