FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:20 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

So I'm beginning to contemplate the "luggage situation" for my next Spirit flight, which is next month (August) -- the start of their infamous "we're charging for standard carry-ons" policy.

What hasn't gotten much focus is the fact that you're still allowed to bring a pretty large size "square-ish" bag for free: max dimensions 16" by 14" by 12".

It's a somewhat weird size: kind of like a large box. You're not likely to find much standard luggage that fits these dimensions.

But after getting out the tape measure and rummaging through my bags, I've concluded that the large backpack is the solution for the Spirit rules.

We actually dug one of these out for a recent trip on Ryanair which -- prior to the Spirit announcement -- had the stingiest carry-on limits. The backpack we used was actually a little small for Ryanair, but is PERFECT (when stuffed) for the Spirit rules.

FWIW, my wife was able to get about 6 days worth of clothing and toiletries into her 16 x 14 x 12 backpack last time. So it's certainly doable, if you're used to travelling light.

BTW, as a $9 Fare Club member (which you have to be to get Spirit's dirt-cheap fares), you're allowed to check your first 2 bags for $15 each domestically. And you'd get a large 62" bag for that. Pretty reasonable. Carry-ons are $20 for members. But I don't feel like checking bags unless I absolutely have to, and I don't want to pay the $20 for carry-ons. So I'm going to become a Spirit backpacker! I'm sure I won't be alone.