FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping in America?
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:46 pm
anat0l

More Questions on Tipping

I thought this was the most appropriate thread to post in given that I'll be going to America later this year. It will be my first time in America since I was 10 years old (i.e. the first time me going and I'll have to pay, which means I have to get on top of how to tip appropriately).

Most of this thread seems to answer some of my queries, but here are some more:
  1. Oft asked: How much would you tip...
    1. The person behind the counter at McDonalds (and does this depend if you take away in a bag or eat-in with a tray)? The thread seems to say 10% (which is acceptably under the "normal" 15%).
    2. Someone who serves a drink at a bar area in an airline lounge? OK I think the answer to that is the standard $1-$2; would you also tip, say, an attendant who removes your used plates/cups from your area?
    3. Check-out attendant in a supermarket or shop (big, small, family run, etc.)? Similarly for other shop attendants, whether or not they help you (e.g. find an item you inquire about) or merely just help you pay for your items. Another example is a drug store attendant (who may help you locate appropriate drugs or fill in a prescription for you)?
    4. In fact - is there a need to tip anyone who works in a service industry but is not working in a restaurant, a hotel or as a taxi driver? For example, ticket booth operator at a theme park, bus drivers, train station clerks, information booth attendant at airport......
  2. Is it wrong (morally, socially or legally):
    1. To do something yourself and insist that on staff, which means you will not pay any tips? For example, getting out of a car and carrying your own bags to the reception and to your room. This is not necessarily because one wants to actively avoid giving a tip.
    2. For service staff to chase / tout you for service or perform a service which you did not want then ask for a tip? Not sure if this is common at all (seems more common in, say, some Asian countries, e.g. a cleaner in an airport bathroom will offer you a paper towel and then ask for a tip)...
    3. To ask for change from a big bill if the big bill does not represent how much you want to tip? For example, if the bill comes to $50 (all in for simplicity) and you want to tip 20% of this, bringing the "grand total" to $60, is it OK to hand over a $100 to "pay" for everything and ask for $40 in change? Or should you be prepared to pay the exact amount including the tip? Or is it always taken that change is always the tip?
  3. Finally, when one arrives in the US, usually they are carrying huge bills - $20, $50, $100, whatever. Obviously not tipping currency. What is the easiest way for tourists entering the US to arm themselves with plenty of $5, $2 and $1 bills so that they can tip as soon as they leave the airport? I don't think many forex places offer small change (or even enough small change). I know, sounds like a silly question, but.....

Sorry if this sounds paranoid but I don't like feeling socially awkward about this practice. When we went through Europe, we only got caught out on tipping once (in Vienna). The waiter was calm, polite and did not make us feel very uncomfortable or humiliated about it, but simply pointed out that a line was left on the bill for a tip (a subtle hint that it was expected).

As an Australian I am not pro-tipping but like others said if it is a cultural/social norm of the country you are going to be in then you should abide by it.