FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Inn Resort Bali Baruna (Master Thread)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:08 am
Savage25

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Stayed at the HI Baruna Bali for 5 nights earlier this month as I needed a few days of doing absolutely nothing. Been to Bali several times but didn't feel like paying for the IC this time. Used 15K points per night and got an upgrade to a garden view room. Room didn't feel too cramped for two - granted its more a city hotel sized room and probably the smallest resort room I've ever stayed in but it was fine, really. The luggage rack just about fit a 28" Rimowa, so I see how having more than one suitcase could be a problem.

Rooms are non-smoking, but from what I saw, every room has a balcony or patio where you can smoke your kretek. No issues with mold or dampness in the room that demue warned me about when we had drinks in SIN. I actually had split the 5 nights into two bookings which they were happy to combine at checkin, but they did deliver a plate of fruits on the first day of each reservation, which was nice.

As a Plat, I was given a voucher for 20% off breakfast (a relatively expensive Rp 160K/£12 per person) for two valid for the duration of the stay. Because of the late night world cup games which we caught at Stadium Cafe in Kuta, we never actually woke up for breakfast which ended at 10.30am, but instead walked a minute down the road to the SA Cafe which had a full American breakfast for Rp 28K (£2) untill noon.

Local food at the hotel was average and overpriced...we ended up eating a lot of cheap local food within a 5 min walk along the road outside. Bintang was bought from the shop and stored in the empty fridge in the room.

The Tea Tree Spa was also fairly expensive - instead we went to the Green Garden Spa across the road from the HI which was more reasonable and still had a good ambience. A 90 min massage was something like Rp 780K (£55) at the Tea Tree Spa, Rp 160K (£12) at the Green Garden Spa and Rp 80K (£6) at any of the holes in the wall 5 min walk down the street.
http://www.greenbali.com/spa_salon.html

Wifi was fine (fast enough to stream iPlayer over VPN) and worked out on the beach chairs as well. The little covered massage areas near the spa side and away from the noise of the pool area also had power points, which was useful. I paid Rp 700K (£50) for a 7 day package. The one-day package was Rp 200K.

They also had a laundry package where you could have a full laundry bag of clothes washed and pressed same day for Rp 150K.

As a Plat, requested a 2pm checkout which was granted with no issues. They do have some sort of departure lounge room opposite the gym which you can pay for access if you have a late flight out, but I can't remember the details.

Overall, a very pleasant getaway with very little impact on the wallet, but I wouldn't do it for a special occasion/holiday or for someone going to Bali for the first time.