FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roma Pass and Airport Transportation questions
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:21 am
Alice11

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by sk3
Hi Alice11, thanks for all your very helpful posts.

I'm confused about the FR1 and FM1 and whether you can use a BIT, BIG, BTI or CIS ticket for it.

I'd like to take the train from FCO to Ostiense Station and I see here that the fare would be €8.

But I also see that for the Metrebus System in Rome that the 4 different tickets are valid
- on Met.Ro regional trains: Rome-Lido, Rome-Viterbo, Rome-Pantano
- on Trenitalia regional trains (travelling second class)
[I can't seem to link the English page directly, but you can maneuver this page to show the English]

So firstly, is the FCO-Ostiense train the FM1 or the FR1? And is it considered a "Trenitalia regional train" that would be eligible for a BIT, BIG, BTI, CIS ticket?

Grazie in anticipo.
Hello SK3,
FCO-Ostiense train or, generally speaking, FCO-Rome train is both the FM1 and the FR1 service. For a traveller at FCO, that means every train but the Leonardo Express.

Actually, FM1 is simply the name of initial set of stations of the FR1 service.
As per Trenitalia timetable, all those trains are 'regional' and coded with a 'R', so if you look at the Trenitalia timetable, or hear some announcement, you would notice something like 'Trenitalia Treno Regionale R????".

Now, about fares:

FCO to Rome area* is a special fare and it's 8 euros. That's because the airport involves a - shameful - surcharge. You can't use the 4 tickets you mentioned.
But if you're travelling within the Rome area, for example from Ostiense to Tuscolana, you can use the 4 tickets you mentioned. In this case, a journey on a overground Trenitalia train is equal to a journey on a underground service, and same policies apply.

*A cheaper fare is available in case you're travelling from FCO to the first 2 stations:
  • "Parco Leonardo", a mall + residential&commercial area which lays just outside the airport;
  • "Fiera di Roma", the main exhibition center.

Last edited by Alice11; Jul 17, 2010 at 9:37 am