FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Govt State Department travel advisories
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:28 pm
polonius
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by exbayern
Admittedly I am not American, but I find it tends to be overly cautious. I may compare it to other advisories but tend to do my own research and balance precaution with common sense. I have travelled to many areas listed as 'not safe' and not felt unsafe.
A few years ago, I was trying to get a business deal involving Jordan and Israel in place (in the end, although both parties could have made a ton of money, politics trumped profits and the deal fell apart) and needed to organise a meeting with both the Israelis and the Jordanians. The Israelis consulted their government's web site, which cautioned them about travel to Jordan. The Jordanians went to the Jordan government web site, which warned them about what a dangerous place Israel is. Having been to both, I know that neither party was taking any more risk by travelling than by staying home, yet this effort was stalemated until the Israelis (minus a few members of their delegation) finally agreed to come to Amman (they had a great time, BTW).

Similar ironies exist with the USA -- the US Dept of State website portrays half the world as being awash in criminals, terrorists, identity thieves, con artists, and hostiles of various stripes, and hence it counsels caution in visiting. Yet most of these places are far safer than the United States, which has some of the most dangerous and violent cities in the world, equalled only by Mexico and South Africa. Most Americans are safer abroad than at home.