FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Hotel Alliance unveils loyalty program
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:30 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The main feature of the program seems to be that one doesn't earn points which can be redeemed for future stays, but rather "Local Experiences" -- certificates that one can redeem for special events and amenities.

I generally wouldn't be interested in such rewards. Some of them seem pretty generous. For example, in the "Culinary Delights" category in Asia for Kempinski hotels, the options for Gold level (one stay) include "A private romantic picnic between the dunes of the Emirates Palace" or "A private brewery tour with our own brew master, including 1 pint for free." At Platinum (ten stays) you can "Get exclusively your own Gazebo for a Candle Light Dinner and enjoy a five star set menu" at Emirates Palace. It seems that the Black (thirty stays) rewards haven't been defined yet.

Others seem pretty poor. For example, "Unique experience where your future is told by an old gypsy" in Cairo (Gold); "See this fascinating country through the eyes of a local woman" in Ajman, UAE (Gold), whatever that means; "Visit a typical Spanish wine cellar, as well as beautiful vineyard in Ronda" (Platinum), which might be a nice reward for Gold, but seems a bit skimpy for Platinum level. But, hey, to each his/her own, right.

It says that you earn one certificate each time you stay at a brand (of which there are 12 in the Global Hotel Alliance) for the first time. So I guess the optimal strategy for achieving top-tier status would be to accrue 30 stays in one brand, then earn 11 more Black-level rewards by staying in each other brand after that.

I suspect that a lot of travelers won't be particularly interested in these awards. But the other benefits are OK -- e.g., free internet access at Gold level; upgrade, late checkout, and 48-hour guaranteed availability at Platinum; and double-upgrade, 6:00pm check-out, and 24-hour guaranteed availability at Platinum.

I guess with the wide variety of hotel types in the Global Hotel Alliance, it's hard for them to guarantee a certain benefit (e.g., executive club access, which probably doesn't exist at the majority of properties), so they're left witih pretty generic benefits combined with the "Local Experiences."

Certainly an unusual program. I give it overall a , since you don't earn any free nights. I guess I will continue to earn my United miles at Kempinski (which I am assuming won't change, although I cannot be sure).