FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I check a jogger stroller on American Airlines?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:14 am
Eclipsepearl

Programs: United Plus
I second the stroller frame recommendation. The Gogobabz thingy is expensive and the baby is close to the ground. With the stroller frame, it's almost like a lightweight travel system. You can use it on the ground too, not just for air travel. I had a basket under mine that I could put things and I could also hang bags off the handle, which you couldn't do with the Gogobabyz.

As a Flight Attendant, I saw a ton of huge strollers at the door of the plane. Whatever you bring, make sure you have a bungee cord to secure it. Some people also like to bag their strollers to keep them clean. You can use any sort of cover, waterproof or not.

If you are taking your car seat, be sure to either use it on board or gate-check it. Never check a car seat in as luggage. They get lost and broken by the airlines all the time and compensation is usually not offered since the airlines consider it a "delicate" item.

It's a myth that babies are supposed to suck on something during take-off and landing. Please don't wake your child unnecessarily or change his feeding schedule. They often fall asleep on the taxi to the runway so please let him sleep!

If you bring your car seat, ask if there is an empty seat that can be placed next to you. If you can manage this, make sure your baby is safely strapped in for take-off and landing. No need to remove him to force him to suck. I have flown transatlantics, often with connections, twice a year plus other flights with my three children since the oldest was 4 months old. I have never, ever made them suck and they have never, ever had any ear problems. You'll see this "tip" a lot when discussing flying with children.

By contrast, if your child has an ear infection or other problem, this is painful and potentially damaging. Don't risk it and try to schedule a doctor's visit a few days before leaving. Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes and any problems can be healed before you leave. Don't risk putting your child in pain (anyone who has been on a flight with a child with ear pain will confirm this!) No amount of sucking will help. Luckily, as a Flight Attendant, I can confirm that it's rare.

Be sure to have a good baby carrier. Hopefully you already have a good one. Try to avoid fiddly front packs like the Bjorn or Snugli, the kind that suspend the child by its crotch. It's helpful to have one that you can use to breastfeed in and can sit down comfortably. Be sure though that the baby is LOOSE in your lap for take-off and landing if you don't have a seat for him. Either remove him from the carrier or remove the carrier from yourself.

Skip the purse and either bring a backpack or a backpack-style diaper bag. I put a small purse around my neck which holds the essentials; tickets, wallet, cell phone and passports. You'll be glad to have your hands free.

Here are my totally non-commercial flying tips;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Enjoy your trip because it'll never be this easy again!