FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concorde May Fly Again
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:08 am
jbcarioca

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
It was Dallas, not Houston. I flew the inaugural DFW-IAD-CDG flight on "Braniff", which was the AF Concorde in AF colours but with a N- registration which was applied / removed with transfers in Washington before and after each IAD-DFW round trip. On that particular flight, my seatmate was, by coincidence, the AF captain in charge of doing the AF leg (the domestic US legs were flown by BN cockpit crews with BN flight attendants). Due to a snowstorm in Washington that day, the BN crew tried twice to land at IAD, actually touched the runway the 2nd time but too far down , climbed again and we diverted to JFK. The AF captain was VERY nervous and did not seem to fully trust his BN colleague.... That was my one and only experience of a TOGA on the Concorde...

In that time, flying was more fun.
Thanks for the correction on the Braniff Concorde.

I was going to Houston in those days, so I forgot that it was not the final destination. the 727 or whatever it was Dallas-Houston obviously was not memorable at all. As I was looking this up just now I noted on the Braniff history website that Concorde was never painted in Braniff colors, although it was painted in Singapore on one side BA the other for the LHR-BAG-SIN flights.

That must have been an interesting flight for you. I never knew any Concorde pilots. As close as i ever came was that I used to rent a Piper from Biggin Hill, near London, that was owned by a Concorde pilot.