FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Accounts closed with nearly half million points
Old May 29, 2010, 7:18 am
adrienz

Programs: IHG-PA, SPG-G
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I can understand your frustration but must take exception with your charge of discrimination against Chinese. The reality is that fraud is rampant in China and as patterns emerge companies must take action until credibility can be ascertained. I live in a North American city where counterfeit products were relatively rare until a decade ago when ethnic Chinese retailers established large malls selling pretty much nothing but counterfeits, and street stalls in the old Chinatown district overflowed with counterfeit DVDs and CDs. Many companies still refuse to do business in China because of this theft is tolerated if not encouraged by authorities. It is a sad reality and you are caught up in the enforcement and crack downs many companies are now undertaking. That it appears to be racially targeted is merely an overlap between racial and national origins of this abuse. When the validity of your account(s) is ascertained, you and your family members will have access to these points as has been the case with those accounts of others -- mostly non-Chinese by the way -- who were singled out in the initial round of audits.

As your FT ID shows you have other programs, you should be able to use your points from those for the extra nights you require.
You misled us. I don't think the actions that IHG took regarding the accounts have anything to do with counterfeit products.

IHG's closure of Chinese members' accounts has interpreted what "discriminiation" is
1) Closure of accounts and cancellation of reward nights without notification in advance.
2) Members could only contact IHG office in America through phone call, (considering the 12 hours time lag....). The phone number is always not reachable. The staff who was assigned to deal with these cases is extremly bad-mannered and would not even listened to the explaination and pleading.
4) Argument and evidence was never provided by IHG.