FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy
Old May 24, 2010, 10:04 am
4now

HaHa. Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh.

Buy the 3 row diamond necklace with your non-Amex card today. As soon as it arrives, carry it back to your local Costco warehouse. I'm already confident that they are not going to give you $16000, or even a check for that amount on the spot. See how long it takes for you to receive your refund check through the mail. Maybe it will get there before your bill does; maybe not. But remember to pay your non-Amex bill on time. It's the ethical thing to do; and you wouldn't want to chance screwing up on the card that issues the frequent flyer miles.
After that, try it again with a $18000 diamond bracelet.
And when that check finally arrives, try for the $28000 diamond ring...and so on.

I'd be very interested to know just how long anyone could get away with this before Costco cancelled the membership.

The folks running Costco are both competent and nice. They are nice up to the point where they have to be competent in order to continue to run a successful business.
One of the 2 Costco warehouses that I do business with was unfortunate enough to be hit by a group individuals in the community trying to engage in nefarious activity. Costco stopped being nice and cancelled some memberships.
5 years later, that Costco Warehouse is still there and doing just fine, thank you.