FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nervous Flyer - Need Something to Knock Me Out
Old May 10, 2010, 8:57 am
m5allen

Nervous Flyer - Need Something to Knock Me Out

I am a new member who came across this site while researching sleep aids for an upcoming transatlantic flight.

Let me start by saying that I am a very nervous flyer; I absolutely hate flying. But I have always wanted to go to Europe and we are leaving in June from Charlotte, NC to CDG. The return trip will be from Athens, Greece to Philly. I honestly don’t know how I will be able to take these flights without something that will just knock me out for a good period of time.

The info on this site was very helpful but I am still unsure whether I should go with a sleep aid like Ambien/Lunesta or something that will calm my nerves and possibly help me to get to sleep - which I guess would be a benzo like Xanax or Valium?

If I am all nervous and worked up, will Ambien be enough to get to me to sleep or do I need something with more of a “hammer” effect that will just knock me out. I am fearful of ending up in a zombie “sleep-like” state if I take the Ambien and am to nervous to fall asleep. If the flight is calm, I should be able to relax, but once the plane starts bouncing around, I go into freak-out mode. I have taken Xanax in the past on shorter flights, but it really didn’t do anything for me (I can’t remember what the dosage was though). Any help is greatly appreciated, because I am already stressing about this trip. Thanks.