FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:24 am
Clipper801

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I think it depends on your point of view; the base fare could be relevant. I've got a trip planned YEG-YYZ this summer. I've already booked myself in T+, and have booked 2 J aeroplan tickets for family members.

Based on previous posts, it appears that the typical LMU price for this is approximately $300. At the time of booking, the price difference between T+ and Lat is $400. I could book a Lat fare and confirm an upgrade now, but I've decided to roll the dice and try for a LMU. For me, I want to sit up front and am trying to do so in a way where the final all-in price will be lower than if I had bought a Lat fare to begin with. Of course, the possibility of a repeat of last year's special deal where you could use a NAU on T+ fares also entered into my decision making process.
There is of course the issue of certainty (upgrade confirmed at time of booking) vs. aerolotto since LMUP may not necessarily be offered and it is somewhat of a "waste" to use a SSWU for a <4-hour YEG-YYZ trip. At the end, it's a personal choice. When comparing $400 to have the upgrade confirmed to those with no status and have to pay full business, it's a steal.